Current Available Positions
ASSISTANT TO HEAD COACH ~ ARGONAUT ROWING CLUB
This position is part of a mentorship program designed to strengthen coaching skills and abilities in youth members of the Club. Under the guidance and supervision of the Head Coach, the Assistant to the Head Coach will support the development of the Junior Rowing Program at the Argonaut Rowing Club (ARC), providing coaching of junior athletes, and organizational/ administrative support as required.
- Under the guidance of the Head Coach, implement training programs for Junior athletes at the Argonaut Rowing Club:
- Follow Rowing Canada’s Athlete Pathway in any training programs developed for the Junior athletes,
- Supervise and instruct up to 30 youth during a land-based training session or one boat while on the water
- Assist with supervision of junior athletes during weekdays practices 6:00 – 7:30 AM, 4:00 – 6:30 PM Monday – Friday, excluding holidays, and Saturday 7:00 AM to 12:00 PM, plus regatta days.
- Monitor rowing and safety equipment, ensuring in advance equipment is ready for each session, arranging for repairs, where necessary,
- Train junior athletes in specified rowing skills and be prepared to test for skills development through mini races scheduled from time to time based on the RCA’s Athlete Pathway
- Participate in day-to-day planning of practices,
- Promote and develop youth high school program with a primary focus on the continued development and recruitment of Humberside Collegiate Institute rowers.
- Attend all regattas to which designated Junior athletes are competing
- Assist the Head Coach in ensuring that all Junior athletes fully understand the requirements for attendance at regattas, including trailer loading and unloading
- Help to ensure all Junior athletes are Club members and are registered with RCA and ROWONTARIO
- Assist with tracking regatta entries and payments
- Undertake other administrative tasks as required by the Head Coach
- Knowledge and understanding of RCA’s Athlete Pathway especially as it relates to skills development and skills regattas More detail may be found here: http://rowingcanada.org/sites/default/files/RCA-ADP-overview-en.pdf
- Successful completion of the RCA/ROWONTARIO LTR Instructor course (May 6-7th at ARC, June 10-11th at Don RC, or April 1-2 at Barrie RC—or check and sign-up http://www.rowontario.ca/events/).
- Police Criminal Records Check
- Two (2) coach-boat driver licenses: Toronto Port Authority Operator’s License and Pleasure Craft Operating Card are required for this position.
- Mandatory Standard First Aid and CPR or willing to certify before the beginning of camp,
- Comprehensive knowledge of rowing within a skills development environment
- Experience instructing /coaching,
- Strong communication and organizational skills,
- Flexibility and ability to work on several tasks at once, as directed by the Head Coach
- Self-motivated / willing to take initiative / problem-solver,
- Previous experience working with junior athletes is an asset,
- In possession of and willing to use own computer to send and respond to emails,
Hours of Work:
$11.40 per hour
Please submit all resumes with cover letter to email@example.com, with the subject “Assistant to Head Coach Position”.
Submissions are due by June 16, 2017.
Interviews will take place on June 19, 2017.